Save money with these great summer VPN deals!
What’s a VPN?
A VPN, or “Virtual Private Network”, is a way to connect to the internet via a special server run by a VPN provider. When using a VPN all your Internet data from your computer or handheld devices is directed to VPN server. At the same time all the data you send and receive is heavily encrypted. A VPN has lots of uses, but mainly it is used to
Making your IP address invisible – Your IP address is monitored all the time you browse the net for marketing purposes. With a VPN you can hide from bots roaming the net for your information.
Securing your data – Connecting to a public WiFi can be risky, because public WiFis can eavesdrop your data. In the worst case scenario this could lead to your passwords getting in the wrong hands. With VPN’s encryption all the data you send and receive through the Internet is secured.
Seeing blocked or limited content – Some websites are limited to certain countries only. With a VPN you can change your location and use the websites normally.
Avoiding throttling – Some Internet service providers (ISP) slow down your connection while streaming video or gaming to save their bandwidth. With VPN you can avoid this, because the ISP can’t analyze your data.
Evade censorship – Schools, workplaces, ISP, even governments sometimes censor some information online. With a VPN you can evade any censorship (make sure you live in a country where circumventing censored pages is legal).
Use P2P/Torrent safely – Because VPN spoofs your real IP address and location it makes using torrent services more safe.
Summer’s here and you can forget your job for a while. That doesn’t mean you should forget online security as well. With these Top VPNs of Summer 2019 you can make sure you’re safe while surfing online!
|Our Top Picks / Price||Features||Our Score|
Our readers’ choice!
Extremely secure (with double encryption), easy-to-use apps for nearly all devices.
Over 1000 servers in over 50 countries.
|Visit Site >>|
One of the only VPNs with servers in mainland China as well as one of the most popular ones, great choice for an overall VPN! Read our PureVPN Review!
|Visit Site >>|
Outstanding VPN with fast and reliable servers, perfect for streaming. Top notch data encryption and very easy to use.
World’s Fastest VPN, compatible with all devices
|Visit Site >>|
Avoid using free VPNs
When using a free VPN you actually can be risking your online privacy and it is possible you’d be safer when not using a VPN whatsoever than while using a free VPN. Some free VPN software is basically just adware and/or spyware. You can read more about why free VPNs are a bad idea from our article. A new paper (https://research.csiro.au/ng/wp-content/uploads/sites/106/2016/08/paper-1.pdf) released by CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation), University of New South Wales, The Institute of Company Secretaries of India and University of California, Berkeley showed that alarmingly
- 75% of the free VPN apps (Android) tested use third-party tracking libraries.
- 82% unnecessarily request permissions to access sensitive data such as user accounts and text messages.
- 38% contain some form of malware (adware 43%, trojan 29%, malvertising 17%, riskware 6% and spyware 5%).
- 18% do not encrypt anything
- 18% provide no information on who is hosting the VPN servers
- 16% forward traffic through other users’ network bandwidth (making the user basically one node in their VPN network).
- 84% expose user’s real IP address via IPv6 DNS leaks.
- 4 of the analyzed apps perform TLS interception. Although three of these claim this is in order to perform traffic acceleration, this allows them to selectively intercept data sent to secure HTTPS Such as banks, email services, e-commerce sites, and online tax return websites.
This is very worrying since among the most intrusive and malicious apps were very popular free VPNs like HotSpot Shield that’s used by over a million Android users all over the world. You can read more about dangers of free VPN on Android from our article here.